Thursday, January 19, 2006

Bajio Amigo


I just finished painting or, more correctly, re-painting this piece. I originally did this for a friend back in 2001. I never painted it to the level I wanted it. It's what I would now consider an underpainting. My friend recently started a restaurant called Bajio. It is fantastic! Best food around. Ohhh, the Chicken Green Chile Quesadilla...mmmmmm to die for. I digress. Anyway, long story short, he asked me to make some changes to reflect the resturant. It gave me the chance to do it the way it should have been done in the first place. I think it is a big improvement. There is so much junk jammed in there that it is hard to control the values and to make everything read correctly. So, what do you think? Any crits?

If you ever see a Bajio restaurant go try it out. You won't be sorry.

9 comments:

Jason Newkirk said...

everything is wonderful about this piece! Great work

Grangry said...

Its amazing. I love it. You have certainly cracked it!!

Julie Olson said...

HUGE improvement. Putting them side by side, you're right...the first looks like and underpainting. You constantly amaze me with your details. You've nailed it! AND YES BAJIO IS GOOD EATIN'!

Unknown said...

In absolute AWE of the details! I have ADD and will probably never hit that level of detail... I'd get half way there and move on to the next project. LOL! BTW, what kind of painting is this? Water?

Cedricstudio said...

Wow this is fantastic! I agree that it looks over-cluttered with detail. In hindsight maybe the buildings could have been muted in color to make them receed more behind the centrail pile of stuff. Or, better yet, the alley could have been wider to leave room for a clear silhouette of the entire pile. But overall, this is still a great piece! Love it.

garth bruner said...

So, is it the cat that's being roasted on the open fire?

I just saw a Bajio open up in Draper, I'll have to check it out. What is this illo being used for? I'd love to see it in action at the restaurant.

I don't think it looks over-cluttered, just cluttered. A real fun piece to look at closely.

Drazen said...

Holy smokes that cheeze looks good
Smashing work Guy!

constanthing said...

The details are awesome, the clutter is so engaging, the 'improved' version certainly looks much prettier. I like everything about it!

Anonymous said...

simply amazing work... awesome job!